GD Topic for 25th July.2015
TV Commercials should be banned.
TV commercials is coming under attack from parents organizations, politicians and pressure groups in many countries as it not only regulates false and misleading ads but also lures people into impulsive spending. But they also provide us with the latest information on the latest products, keeping us updated. Advertisements are all glitter and little truth.
– There should be regulations against false or misleading advertisements, as most of the TV commercials are advert towards making profit.
– TV can exist without advertising, as it only creates distractions and disturbances.
– Commercials coming nowadays depict vulgarity knowing no bounds.
– Teenagers become easy victims of the commercials, as they fail to understand that advertisers are only trying to lure them into buying their products.
– Advertisements are directed towards the younger generation, luring them into making premature decisions and buying things that are not essential.
– There is nothing moral in encouraging customers to be non-rational and impulsive in spending.
– Advertisements offer a wide range of variety for the customers, which give the customers a lot of choices to choose from.
– It boosts economy by generating revenue; this money is generally of the people working behind the scenes.
– It would be a violation of freedom of speech and press.
– Banning ads would create unawareness among the people about the new products that are up for grabs, that might be useful to many.
– Banning TV ads would leave a sore taste as it would violate the right of freedom of expression.
– Many channels will get closed not being able to meet their cost of production.
– Banning the advertisements may lead to channels not being able to air impartial content in national interest as they will have to depend on some particular revenue sources.
In the interest of the free speech, TV commercials should not be banned but they should be restricted in terms of the contents they show that might influence the teenagers in a wrong way. To have Freedom of Speech is a good thing but it should have its limits.