English is used as the official language in India. Recently, when PM Modi used Hindi for its diplomatic talks, it surged agitation in non-Hindi states especially Tamil Nadu. Also, the recent NDA government’s proposal of giving importance to Hindi language on social media accounts faced stiff opposition by the Tamil Nadu CM and other regional parties. It is considered as violating the Official Languages Act, 1963” In the country where most of the people understand Hindi, is it Ok to continue with English as the official language of the country?
• English is one such language that is understood by people from different castes and states, and therefore deserves to be the official language of India.
• If any other language is tried to make the official language, all the regional parties will start the battle of making the state level as official language of India.
• If Hindi is given priority then it will create differences among the people who don’t speak it making them feel as second class citizens.
• Region C forms an important part of India that got agitated when PM Modi used Hindi for its diplomatic talks.
• The use of English language is as per the requirement of being a part of globalization and there is nothing wrong in it.
• Forget about all the different castes and religions as Indians have their own national language that is Hindi, and that should only be the official language of India.
• It is the duty of the government to take the measures so that people all over in India can read, write and speak in Hindi.
• Already Indian has adopted the western culture in many ways. If it continues there will be no personal or rather say national identity of India.
• In this case, India should learn something from Pakistan who made the Urdu as their official language after the division of country.
• The small little steps are the ways that will make sure that the people from different religion have at least something in common as Indians.
• English might be used as the official language of India but is the unofficial lingua franca in South Asia. When it is not official for the region, why make it official for the country.
English should not be the official language of India. It is an internal matter of country, and the central government should seriously consider changing the present scenario. Hindi represents India, and when the people in India don’t understand Hindi, it is a matter of shame for country. Why the regional parties wants to make the regional language as official language when Hindi represents India. The different regions are part of India. So, they should have proficiency in Hindi. However, till the time, these regions don’t understand Hindi; government has no option but to have English as the official language of India.
GD First Topic for 8th Aug, 15