Noted scientist and thinker Albert Einstein has stressed that imagination is more important than knowledge. This is because knowledge is limited to what is known and understood while imagination embraces the world and points to all there ever will be to know and understand.
But technology has changed the way people approach everything from online sales to writing. Has technology changed us for the better or the worse when it comes to furthering the cause of the human imagination? Let us explore the depth of the issue underlying the tradeoff between creativity and technology.
Yes, technology has replaced creativity with piracy.
1. Computing has replaced creativity- Computers and the incessant use of technology have restricted the sphere of knowledge and creativity to the screen. This has lowered the application of human creativity and imagination in all spheres
2. These are no longer original –Any thesis or academic writing is no longer original because the computer and the internet has made it easy to access academic information at any given point in time. This restricts human imagination and creativity in academic settings. Replication of information has become easy and intellectual data theft is rampant thanks to technology
3. Piracy has become widespread – Perhaps the biggest obstacle in giving a free rein to human imagination has been the use of pirated software and products in the market. Data theft has become a common problem across creative fields such as movie making and fiction writing thanks to piracy and the influx of technology. Software packages are also replicated causing tremendous losses in terms of reduced programming creativity and revenue damage.
4. Technology has made mass scale replication possible –Technology has made it possible to replicate on a mass scale, and this mass market production limits the role of human creativity and imagination in every field from education to science and manufacturing.
5. Technology has stifled creativity – Thanks to the presence of graphics software and other technological advancements, creativity and originality have gone for a toss. Replicating the Mona Lisa or Van Gogh’s Sunflowers is now possible with the click of a mouse.
6. Special effects cancel out human imagination and creativity – Technology has mechanised everything from music to film making and there is no scope for innovation or human creativity to take flight. Technology has deadened the creative process through short cuts in production methods which create artificial offerings that cannot match the originality of past products. From recycled plots to fake special effects, the entertainment and mass media industry has undergone a negative change thanks to technology.
No, technology improves communication and gets new ideas!
1. Technology is a platform for talent – Technology has made many innovations possible in fields as diverse as music, entertainment and film-making. It has expanded the scope and power of human imagination by enhancing the limits to which one can go in the creative process.
2. From health to science, technology has made innovation possible – Technology has furthered the cause of human innovation and imagination in fields as far apart as philosophy and molecular biology. Advancement of technologies has also helped in the growth of the health sector and enabled healthcare to become life prolonging. Using scientific creativity and human innovation, biotechnology has revolutionised the field of pharma and healthcare.
3. Technology helps human imagination to grow – Technology is not limiting creativity; rather it is helping this to grow. This is because technology helps businesses to grow and expand thereby becoming more capable of providing scope for the full potential of human creativity.
4. Communication becomes easier, imagination gets a boost – Technology has also boosted communication which facilitates creativity through the spread of knowledge and ideas across the globe. Sharing ideas is the key to forming insights, and many famous inventors have taken inspiration from past innovations. Technology has quickened the pace of communication and provided online knowledge industry which is thriving and enhancing human creativity by leaps and bounds.
Technology has only unleashed the power and potential of human creativity and imagination. From making films and documentaries to composing great works of music and art to even scientific innovations, technology has liberated human imagination and provided a complete scope for aiding the creativity of man. Only societies which are progressive and technologically advanced can hope to tap the power of human creativity. There is no room in today’s world for outdated methods. Across a globe where technology is even used to fight elections and wars, the cause of human imagination can be advanced through the progress and growth of technology. To see technology as a counter to human creativity is to misunderstand its very essence- which is the expansion of innovation that gives a free rein to human imagination.