There are many friends who daily argue on a topic. Whenever they go for an outing in a restaurant the lover of non-vegetarian food starts teasing the other group by saying that you are simply wasting money by having vegetarian food. But the other group is no less and confidently states that Vegetarian food is healthier than non-vegetarian food. So do you support the argument?
• Vegetarian diets have higher fiber content and folate as compared to the non-vegetarian diets. Moreover the saturated fats and cholesterol is found at a lower side in vegetarian diets.
• Vegetarian diets reduce the risk of many diseases like obesity, diabetes, osteoporosis and especially cancer. Non-vegetarians are more prone to chronic diseases.
• Check out the statistics of western countries. It clearly shows that on average, vegetarians have a longer life than non-vegetarians.
• Vegetarian diet is not restricted to some limited food. The variety of vegetarian dishes that can be made is endless.
• Chicken and fish contains trans fatty acids and when consumed deep friend can become of the reasons of heart diseases.
• Vegetarian or non vegetarian, it doesn’t matter. What really matter are the factors like life style and the eating habits in maintaining good health.
• All the vegetarians are not healthy. They consume potato chips, high fat cheese, deep fried food, junk food and are equally prone to the diseases.
• Vegetarian or non vegetarian, the key word is exercise. No food is healthy if it is not supported by exercise.
• Vegetarians have to suffer from deficiencies of protein, iron, calcium and most importantly vitamin B12.
• Vegetarians have to make an extra expense on eating the supplements to fulfill their need of Vitamin B12 and other essential nutrients.
If the present generation’s eating habits and lifestyles are studied then vegetarian or non-vegetarian, both the diets will fail. India had a culture of consuming vegetarian food from ancient past, and people during that time were healthy with a long life span. All types of foods have their pros and cons. Just select the right diet and stay fit and healthy.
You must not kill any living being for the sake of your food.
The killing is the greatest sin
You must not kill any living being for the sake of your food. God has given enough vegetable food that contains all the ingredients present in the non-vegetarian food. After all, the source of ingredients of any flesh is only vegetable kingdom only. Eating the non-vegetarian food is not a sin because same ingredients exist in both vegetarian and non-vegetarian foods. But, you have to kill a living being for the sake of non-vegetarian food. The killing is the greatest sin.
You may argue that you have not killed the living being directly. Such argument cannot stand. Since you are eating the non-vegetarian food, the living being is killed. You are responsible for its killing. Therefore, you are the principle shareholder of the sin. There is nothing wrong if you eat a living being after its natural death. In Hinduism, there is a sect of people called ‘Kapalikas’, who eat the dead living beings. Therefore, they do not acquire sin. The tsunami is always due to anger of God since you are killing the living beings present in water for food. The earthquakes are due to killing of living beings that exist on the earth. God in the form of Buddha and Mahavir preached the non-violence and severely opposed the killing of living beings.
God in some other human forms might have followed the practice of non-vegetarian food in order to join with non-vegetarian people so that, certain other higher aspects to be preached might have been taken into consideration. That does not mean that God has encouraged the killing of living beings through non-vegetarian food. He might have kept silent on this issue in order to give importance to other serious issues. God follows the ignorance of the students in order to become friendly with them. To control a running bull, you have to run along with it for some distance before controlling it.