The weight of school bags has become a random topic of debate these days. The Centre has proposed a set of guidelines so as to make the school bags lighter. These new proposed guidelines would be presented before the Central Advisory Board on Education for approval. The Centre also wants to implement the new concept of “class libraries” in order to inculcate reading habit among students. Instead of making school bags lighter, should school bags be banned completely?
– The children are becoming a target of back problems by the age of fourteen, and the latest reports are indicating an increase in cases of spinal abnormalities in children, including scoliosis.
– The school bags can easily be replaced by lockers in school where they can keep their text and reference books.
– In developed nations, school kids carry nothing but just two sheets for homework. All their belongings including notebooks and textbooks are kept in school lockers.
– School bags have become a costly affair for parents these days. With the growing tendency of show-off among students, school bags have turned into a matter of status symbol.
– It is the world of e-classroom and visual learning where there should be no place for school bags or books.
– It is impossible for all the schools to offer locker facilities in schools, especially when the classrooms are small in size. Introducing lockers would occupy more than half of classroom space.
– In this world of technology, already things have been made much easier and convenient for the students. Banning school bags will make them lazier and they will always seek a comfortable life.
– In order to solve the problem of back pain, the industry has introduced school trolley bags that need not to be carried on shoulders.
– Without school bags, the school life of children remains incomplete. For school going kids, their bag is their treasure box where they keep all their important things.
– In the present world, schools don’t have enough space to have playgrounds, where would they arrange the space for lockers from.
– School bags ban will shift the responsibility from children to school staff, which again is not justified.
There are several legislation and rules in place already. In fact the government has mandated that the school bags weight should not be above five kilograms. Breaching the rules, most of the schools require students to carry all the textbooks daily. All these practices should be stopped and the drafted rules should be followed seriously. It is the need of the hour as students are facing severe health problems due to overloaded bags. Lighter school bags are a better alternative over banning school bags completely.
Second GD Topic for 28th Aug,15