Top 15 idioms and phrases with their meanings and Example
1: Silence is golden
Meaning: keeping your mouth shut is a great virtue
- Do not tell mom that I broke the chair, silence is golden.
- This will stay between us, right? Silence is golden.
- I love it when someone motivates me, silence is golden.
2: Faint to heart
Meaning: to be weak
- I saw a horror movie at last night and fell faint of heart.
- When I listen about the death of someone I fell faint of heart.
- If you are faint to heart person then do not go to the accident spot.
3: Paint the town red
Meaning: to celebrate and have a wild time
- Let’s go and paint the town red, Mr. Ashok.
- I cannot wait to go out with my friend and paint the town red.
- We are getting all dressed up next week and we are going to paint the time red.
4: end of the day
Meaning: To look at all the possibilities and then to make a final decision.
- At the end of the day, I am the one who has to live in the house that I buy.
- At the end of the day we were all happy with the decision.
- At the end of the day I put my computer off and go home to my family.
5: Never mind
Meaning: to ensure someone that something is not important
- If my attitude has hurt you please never mind.
- Never mind, I will do it myself.
- Never mind Anil, I am sorry that I broke your vase.
6: Come over
Meaning: to go to someone else’s house\ to affect some one
- Come over here and look out of the window you can see my house.
- She comes over as being very nervous.
- The people come over from Bhubaneswar for the festival.
7: Run out
Meaning: to not have enough of something \ to come to an end
- I have run out of patients with him, he still has not completed the task that I gave him.
- My car is running out of fuel.
- If someone is looking for me, please tell them that I have just run out for a second.
8: Bite the bullet
Meaning: to be brave and face a difficult situation
- When the time comes, I will bite the bullet and take my punishment without a fuss.
- All soldiers have to bite and bullet when they get their drafting letter.
- As we are human beings we should learn how to bite the bullet in every period of time.
9: A lot on my plate.
Meaning: to have a lot of things happening in your life at the same time
- I wonder how you manage so much on your plate.”
- I unable to concentrate on my work properly because there are a lot on my plate.
- Now I feel relax all the day long, because I do not have enough on my plate these days.
10: Chill to the marrow
Meaning: to be very cold
- Especially in winter we feel chill to the marrow.
- The movie gave me a chill to the marrow because it was horrible.
- It feels in Kashmir in whole day chill to the marrow due to heavy snow fall.
11: bon appétit
Meaning: Enjoy your food \meal
- Hear is your dinner .you bon appetite.
- While you are taking meal together, you should say everyone bon appétit.
- Welcome everyone to party I would like to say bon appétit.
12: Button your lip
Meaning: to stop speaking
- Meeting is going on, please button your lip.
- She was asked to button her lip.
- His continuous talking makes me wish he could button his lip.
13: put on
Meaning: to wear clothes
- You should put on new clothes in your birthday.
- Is there anything special today? Why you put on the new shirt.
- Do you know him who has put on the red color dress.
14: Keep your hair on
Meaning: to request someone to stay calm and not get annoyed
- The general kept his hair on during the meeting this time.
- At the class time student should keep their hair on.
- You have to keep your hair on when someone is giving advice to you.
15: hang up
- Suddenly my phone hangs up due to bad weather condition.
- Don’t hang up your phone when someone is in problem.
- I want to inform about the serious matter about your family please don’t hang up my call.
Also Read this blog for more information Idioms and Phrases